The OET Preparation Course is designed to improve the four (4) macro skills of reading, writing, listening & speaking with a focus on the Occupational English Test.
OET Preparation is suitable for the OET Test, working in an English speaking healthcare setting or those seeking career progression in an English speaking environment and some education providers & government departments all around the world are now accepting the OET Test. We offer OET Preparation in the following 12 health & allied health professions: dentistry, dietetics, medicine, nursing, occupational therapy, optometry, pharmacy, physiotherapy, podiatry, radiography, speech pathology & veterinary science.
What do we teach you?
Health Professional (OET) Writing
Subject Code: MHPWC18
- Writing skills
- Letter writing including: formal & informal letters, patient referral letters, hospital admissions letters, reminder letter to patients, patient discharge letters and more
- Hand writing skills
- Linking information
- Using paragraphs
- Writing longer sentences
- Planning to write
- Organising the task
- Understand the writing assessment criteria
Health Professional Speaking (OET)
Subject Code: MHPSC18
- Clinical setting
- Public and private hospital settings
- Effectively communicate -Different medical situations -Medical related scenarios
- Dialogues related to various medical settings
- Speaking using tone, diction, fluency, accuracy & volume, which covers typical patient scenarios in Australia
- Pronunciation & appropriate language for when dealing with people in all contexts e.g. hospital settings & private clinics
- Functional language, taking patient histories, giving explanations, giving advice, aggression conversation & giving re-assurances
- Dealing with children, teenagers, adults & older Australians
- Understand the speaking assessment criteria
Health Professional Listening (OET)
Subject Code: MHPLC18
- Listening to passages and dialogues
- Listening for detail
- Predicting before you listen
- Listening for gist
- Hand writing speed
- Writing in note form
- Scanning headings and questions
- Using headings to guide you
- Looking ahead
- Planning for listening
Health Professional Reading (OET)
Subject Code: MHPRC18
- Practice reading skills with reference materials, hospital documents, medical reports, and medical related charts
- Speed reading & comprehension
- Reading for specific purposes
- Understanding the text & being able to answers specific questions relating to the text
- Reading for information
- Reading for gist
- Reading for main ideas
- Sequence of steps
- Reading for detail
- Using context to guess meaning
- Word stress
- Practising word stress
- Practising tone in clarification questions
- Practising tone in politeness markers and introductory phrases
- Changing word stress
- Specialist health professionals
- Relating words
- Words that go together- collocations
- Understanding and using medical terms
- Basic word structures
- Target language
- Medical terminology
- Medical roots, suffixes and prefixes
- Present perfect tense
- Simple past tense
- Present perfect continuous tense
- Revising tenses
- Conditional sentences
The CPD Group accredited the Matt Christie Institute of Australia in November 2017 for learning activities, events and e-learning courses across various sectors.
Who is the English for Health Professional Certificate suitable for?
- Health professionals needing to develop English skills in a health context
- Those seeking entry to any of the MCIOA short or long courses
- Those that are preparing for the Occupational English Test
- Health professionals seeking career progression
- Those who work in an English-speaking environment & need to further develop their English skills
Our Fees: (8 Weeks)$549 or (4 Weeks) $399
Tuition Inclusions: Lectures, student workbooks, handouts, mock exams
Admissions, service and materials fee: $50
All students must complete the MCIOA diagnostic test before admissions or during orientation
Will I get homework?
- All students are given homework and are required to complete it.
- Students cannot rely solely on classes at the institute to be a success in the OET exam.
- All students must make an individual effort outside of classes.
Do you have instalment fees?
No, we don’t offer instalment fees and all fees must be paid prior to the commencement of the course.
Is social distancing on campus?
- All students and staff must follow the social distancing measures at all time.
- We have limited the number of students in each class and arranged all student areas appropriately.
Do you guarantee a 100% pass rate?
- We offer no pass rate percentages.
- We are not of a higher power and foretell any test outcomes.